GENERAL SAFETY TIPS
Extinguish all candles when
leaving the room or going to sleep. Keep candles away from items that can catch fire
clothing, books, paper, curtains, or flammable decorations. Dried flowers,
cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well
away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs, heaters, etc.
Use candle holders that are sturdy, won't tip over
easily, are made from a material that can't burn and are large enough to collect dripping
wax. Place candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface and do not use candles in
places where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
Don't place lit candles in
windows, where blinds and curtains can close over them. Keep candles and all open flames
away from flammable liquids.
Keep candle wicks trimmed to
one-quarter inch and extinguish taper and pillar candles when they get to within two
inches of the holder or decorative material. Votives and containers should be extinguished
before the last half-inch of wax starts to melt. Using a candle snuffer to extinguish
candles is safer than blowing them out or using your fingers.
Purchase only costumes, wigs
and props labeled flame-resistant or flame-retardant. When creating a costume, choose
material that won't easily ignite if it comes in contact with heat or flame. Avoid
billowing or long trailing features.
Remember to keep exits clear
of decorations, ensuring nothing blocks escape routes. Use flashlights as alternatives to
candles or torch lights when decorating walkways and yards. They are much safer for
trick-or-treaters, whose costumes may brush against the lighting.
Use extreme caution when decorating with candles, and
supervise children at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside
Jack-O-Lanterns, use long, fireplace-style matches and be sure to place lit pumpkins well
away from all combustible items. Pumpkins can also be illuminated with small, inexpensive
flashlights or glow sticks.
Never leave the
lights or any lighted decorations plugged in when you leave the
house. Be sure to check the batteries in your smoke detectors. Make
sure that plugs plugged into outlets and/or extension cords are
plugged in safely. Always have a fire extinguisher handy during the
CHILDREN & PETS
Never leave a child unattended
in a room with a candle. A child should not sleep in a room with a lit candle. Keep
candles up high out of reach of children. Don't allow children or teens to have candles in
their bedrooms. Store candles, matches and lighters up high and out children's sight and
reach, preferably in a locked cabinet.
Instruct children to stay away from open flames or
other heat sources. Be sure children know how to stop, drop and roll in the event their
clothing catches fire. (Stop immediately, drop to the ground, covering your face with your
hands, and roll over and over to extinguish flames.)
Instruct children who are
attending parties at others' homes to locate the exits and plan how they would get out in
an emergency. Provide children with lightweight flashlights to carry for lighting or as
part of their costume.
WAX CLEANING TIPS
Wax on Carpet
This procedure may cause stains, if in doubt call in a professional carpet cleaner.
Let the wax harden, then break it up and remove as much wax as possible. Place paper
towels over the waxed area, then apply a hot steam iron to wick the wax into the paper
towels. Protect iron with tin foil. Repeat as needed. Check iron for wax residue before
using for clothing again.
Removing wax from
Let harden, then remove as much wax as possible. Pour boiling water through
Repeat as necessary. Do not use carpet method on clothes as it could set the candle dye in
the fabric. Wax on Clothing - may cause stains, if in doubt consult a
The NFPA (National
Fire Protection Association) has great information and tips for preventing home